Protect Your Family From a Gas Fire
In many communities, natural gas is the go-to source of energy for home and water heating. In addition to these conveniences, this gas may also be used for cooking, powering air conditioning units, running the clothes dryer, and powering a gas fire in your fireplace. While this cost-effective source of energy is generally safe, there are some precautions you should take if you smell that "rotten egg" odor, hear a hissing sound, or suspect a gas leak for any other reason:
5 Precautions to Take if You Suspect a Gas Leak
- Don't turn any lights on. Don't plug anything into your outlets. Any spark or flame could cause collected gas to ignite. If you need a source of light, choose a flashlight.
- Check your gas appliances. If you have a gas stove, for example, make sure the burners have been turned off. It's fairly easy for the knobs to get bumped into an "on" position.
- Open windows and doors. This is the best way to provide the ventilation necessary to get gas out of your home.
- Evacuate everyone from your home. After moving across the street, call 911 or the gas company. The best way to avoid a gas fire is to alert professionals to the problem. They may also ask you to warn your neighbors to evacuate.
- Locate the gas meter. When you aren't worried about a potential leak and resulting gas explosion, find out where your gas meter is installed. With this information, you can turn off the meter if you smell gas.
Remember that your top priorities are the safety of your family, your loved ones, and the people around you. Don't take risks when dealing with gas.
Natural gas is an affordable option when it comes to powering your house. With the right information, you can avoid a gas fire. If your West Valley City, UT, home is affected by fire, contact property damage cleanup and repair professionals for help.